Spearfish School District 40-2
ADMISSION OF EXCHANGE AND FOREIGN STUDENTS
Foreign students must meet all district entrance requirements i.e., age, place of residence, immunizations. The District does not provide any financial contribution to the students. The Board assumes no responsibility or control over items such as travel, living accommodations, funding, insurance, etc., which remains the responsibility of the sponsor and/or student. Students who are citizens of a foreign country will be considered residents if they meet one of the following requirements:
- The student resides or his/her parent(s) or legal guardian.
- The student is a participant in a foreign exchange program approved by the school board.
- The student is accepted as a resident under SDCL 13-28-01.
- The student is in the United States with appropriate documentation (Form 1-20) from the United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Services.
Spearfish High School may accept up to four foreign exchange students per year. The Board reserve the right to withdraw approval and to regulate the number of students participating.
- Students must be between the ages of 14 and 18 years. Their 14th birthday must fall prior to September 1 of the year they are to attend Spearfish High School.
- Approved programs must have a local coordinator who resides within the district and does not receive compensation for student placement. Approved programs must be approved by the Council on Standards for International Education Travel.
- The local coordinator for the approved programs must contact the high school principal by June 1 with the number of students that will be sponsored. The names of the students and the names of the host families must be provided at that time. Acceptance of students after June 1 will be on a first-come basis.
- The exchange students must meet a required proficiency level in English.
- Proper 1-20 Forms and other required papers must be processed by the district, the student and the sponsoring organization before an international student can be formally admitted to Spearfish High School.
Approved January 12, 2004