Spearfish School District 40-2
1. Verify that every line of the Request to Administer Medication and Release Agreement (5310.1FM) is accurately completed.
2. Verify that the medication is labeled with the child’s name, physician’s name (if a prescribed medication), medication name, dosage, route and time.
3. If medication needs to be refrigerated, do so at this time.
4. When the child comes for medication ask the child to state his/her name to verify that it is the right child for the right medication.
5. As the child takes his/her medication, recheck the container.
6. Document immediately on the daily log sheet.
7. If a child must carry his/her medication (such as an inhaler), the physician must provide a written statement (Form 5310.2FM).
8. Explain the use and dose of inhalers or any unusual medication.
*Parents will provide instructions for procedures.
*Nurse will give instructions to secretaries.
Approved August 12, 1996
Reviewed December 14, 1998