Spearfish School District 40-2
To assure the health and well-being of all students, the Spearfish School District will:
● Encourage all school buildings to participate in the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program.
● Offer students an attractive variety of highly nutritious foods and meals to meet the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
● Encourage the practice of good nutrition. All school activities including fund raising, classroom parties and incentive awards, should reflect, as deemed necessary by the building administrator, the same sound nutritional education practices that are taught in the classroom and implemented in the Nutrition Service Department.
● Promote effective program administration promoted by requiring minimum levels of training for Nutrition Service personnel.
● Establish a greater collaboration between the Nutrition Service Department and the classroom, including nutrition education for adults and students.
● Support professional development for the Nutrition Service Department staff.
● Encourage parent, student and community involvement.
● Set standards for the environment in which food is served, including sufficient meal times.
The Spearfish School District Board of Education is committed to supporting education, health, nutrition and business partnerships to develop broad new strategies with the goal of resolving childhood hunger and assuring nutritional adequacy for all students.
First Reading February 8, 1999
Approved March 8, 1999