Spearfish School District 40-2
It is the policy of Spearfish School District 40-2 to comply to the provision of federal copyright laws. The following procedures shall be implemented to adhere to those laws:
1. The ethical problems caused by illegal copying should be included in the district's computer literacy curriculum.
2. Only legal copies of copyrighted materials may be made or used on school equipment.
3. School District 40-2 does not give permission for any illegal copying of any district-owned copyrighted materials.
4. It shall be district policy to negotiate for specific copyright release where applicable. If releases cannot be obtained, alternative products will be considered before purchasing from a non-cooperating vendor.
5. The Spearfish School District 40-2 is responsible for distributing to all school personnel a written copy of this policy and guidelines for specific types of materials. The principal of each building shall serve as copyright officer for that building.
6. Notice of copyright policy shall be posted near any copying equipment in the schools.
7. Employees who violate copyright laws do so at their own risk and assume all liability.
Adopted September 11, 1989
Reviewed December 14, 1998
Reviewed January, 2009