June 14, 2004
School Board Minutes
June 14, 2004
A REGULAR MEETING OF THE SCHOOL BOARD OF SPEARFISH SCHOOL DISTRICT 40-2, LAWRENCE COUNTY, SOUTH DAKOTA, WAS HELD AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE BUILDING ON THE 14TH DAY OF JUNE, 2004. THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS WERE PRESENT: Vice President Dunwoody, Royer, and Aaker. Administration present were: Peters, Crosswait, Hood, Jewett, and Soriano. Also present were: Kris Garlick-Beaty, Rosalie Aslesen, Janelle Jones, Kris Hayes, Diane Wendt, and Jeff Sleep.
All motions were passed by unanimous vote unless stated otherwise.
Vice President Dunwoody called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Dunwoody led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion was made by Aaker, seconded by Royer and carried to approve the agenda.
David Jewett presented the SAT 10 scores and comparisons of the testing done this Spring.
Superintendent Dave Peters provided information on the progress of providing information to the public on the alternative calendar.
Dave Peters also supplied information on the adequacy study.
Motion was made by Royer, seconded by Aaker and carried to renew the agreement with Kids Club. It is considered a community service to allow use of our facility with minor charges for direct janitorial costs.
Motion was made by Royer, seconded by Aaker and carried to table the item to surplus Central School property.
Motion was made by Aaker, seconded by Royer and carried to grant BHSU an extension to the existing lease through January 1st, 2005.
Motion was made by Royer, seconded by Aaker and carried to bring the Central School property surplus item back to the floor.
Motion was made by Aaker, seconded by Royer and carried to declare Central School property surplus.
Motion was made by Royer, seconded by Aaker and carried to approve the bus contract with Dakota Bus Service. Contract amount will be $194,456.30.
Motion was made by Aaker, seconded by Royer and carried to vote for Jim Heinert for the SDHSSAA Board of Control.
Resolution was made by Aaker, seconded by Royer to transfer the contingency line item amount of $100,000 to the following expense accounts: High School salaries $16,000, High School pro service $20,000, Middle School salaries $16,000, East Elementary salaries $16,000, West Elementary salaries $16,000 and Custodial salaries $16,000. Roll Call Aye: Royer, Aaker, Dunwoody Absent Erickson, Steen.
Motion was made by Royer, seconded by Aaker and carried to accept for the garbage bid of Trash Busters $1,527/month and $17.70 for additional pickups, High School newspaper Black Hills Pioneer & Prospector $300/issue, milk bid from Gillette Dairy .159 per ½ pint homogenized milk - 1% butterfat, .162 per ½ pint chocolate milk - 1% butterfat, quote for Middle School roof project by Hills Roofing & Sheet Metal base price $30,000, $10.00/sq.ft. for steel deck and $5.00/sq.ft. for power brushing and priming.
Motion was made by Aaker, seconded by Royer and carried to approve the following
1. Approved the contract amounts for administrative staff and coordinators:
A. Dave Peters Superintendent $84,121.54
B. Craig Crosswait Bus. Manager $57,222.00
C. Dan Leikvold H.S. Principal/AD $72,131.81
D. James Seyer H.S. Asst. Principal $52,020.00
E. Tom Riedel M.S. Principal $65,935.50
F. Paul Soriano East Elem. Principal $62,153.50
G. Kathy Hood Curriculum/Drug Free $58,158.36
H. David Jewett Special Services $62,918.37
I. Karen Hahn H.S. Activities $42,090.00
2. Approved agreement with Steve Gabriel for
computer assistance, July1st, 2004 to June 30th, 2005, $10,180.31
3. Approved the request from Mary Cooper, 5th grade, for a leave of absence for the 2004-05 school year.
4. Approved a teaching contract for Mary Kate Axlund, Middle School Language Arts replacing Katie Carter, MS-10, 7U, 59G, $37,747.50.
5. Approved a teaching contract for Lance Cowan, East Elementary 3rd grade, BS-1, $25,687.50
6. Approved a teaching contract for Katherine Ewing, West Elementary music replacing Doug Ruhnow, BS-10, 9U,
49 G, $36,267.50.
7. Approved a teaching contract of Ann Rinas, East Elementary 5th grade, BA-5, 3 G, $28,670.00
8. Approved the teaching contract for Pam Gillespie, East Elementary 5th grade BS-3, 15G, $28,835.
9. Approved the request from Laura West, East Elementary teacher, to change teaching contract from 1 FTE to .5FTE.
10. Accepted resignation from Abby Helling, East ESP.
11. Approved appointment of Vi Fenner as a summer custodian, 20 hrs/week, $6.25/hr. June 15th through
August 13th, 2004.
12. Approved appointment of Kerrie Roozen as a temporary accounts receivable assistant, 7 weeks,
10 hours/ week, $6.25/ hour.
13. Approved the following coaching positions:
Bryan Heck 10th Volleyball VB-7 $2850
Tim Cooper Asst. 9th Football FB-5 $2000
Doug Dexheimer Girls Tennis TN-8 $3125
Sarah Dittman JV Volleyball VB-7 $2850
John Rounds Asst. Varsity Football FB-7 $2850
Chris Swiden 9th Volleyball VB-6 $2400
Pete Wilson Varsity Girls Basketball GBB-10 $4125
13. Approved H.S. summer school teachers Dadra Avery and Stacy Jermolenko, $2,000 each for the summer session.
14. Approved recommendation to declare 108 computers with monitors, keyboards, and mouse, 10 lap tops, 12 separate monitors, 30 ink jet printers, 23 switches, and 5 hubs.
15. Approved the budget adjustment for grant money. $77,296.44
The School Board “Annual Meeting” shall be held on the second Monday in July unless otherwise designated by the Board. The meetings of the Board, election of officers, designation of depository and newspaper, shall be declared.
The Board heard the reading of the following policies;
Personnel Policy for classified employees working less than 20 hours per week. (New)
Extracurricular Training Rules Violation - Policy 5435-6318 (Revised)
Special Trip Policy - Policy 5150 (New)
Threats - Policy 5138 (New)
Participation of Home Schooled Students in Extracurricular Activities. (New)
Alternative Instruction Programs - Policy 6255 (Revised)
Dave Peters explained the Methodist Church Agreement regarding the parking that is currently shared by the Church and the School District.
Motion was made by Aaker, seconded by Royer and carried to approve the May 10th minutes.
Motion was made by Aaker, seconded by Royer and carried to approve the bills and financial statement.
Motion was made by Royer, seconded by Aaker and carried to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 6:38 p.m.
Ed Erickson, President ___________________________________
Craig Crosswait, Business Manager _________________________
© 2005 Spearfish School District