August 9, 2004
School Board Minutes
August 9, 2004
A REGULAR MEETING OF THE SCHOOL BOARD OF SPEARFISH SCHOOL DISTRICT 40-2, LAWRENCE COUNTY, SOUTH DAKOTA, WAS HELD AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE BUILDING ON THE 9TH DAY OF AUGUST, 2004. THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS WERE PRESENT: Vice President Royer, Steen, Aslesen and Sleep. Administration present were: Peters, Crosswait, Leikvold and Seyer. Also present were: Kris Garlick-Beaty, Kip Roozen, John E. Swanson, Ron Borgman, Patti Mundt.
All motions were passed by unanimous vote unless stated otherwise.
Vice President Royer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Royer led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion was made by Steen, seconded by Aslesen and carried to approve the agenda with addendums.
Motion was made by Aslesen, seconded by Sleep and carried to approve the following
1. Approved the Certificate of Exemption for 9 elementary, 11 middle school and 1 high school student to attend home school. (Code 004-0809-01 to 021)
2. Accepted the resignation of Lance Cowan, third grade teacher, effective August 10, 2004.
3. Approved the teaching contract for Diane Wendt, .5FTE CSR teacher, BS-8, 16 grad hours, $15,870.
4. Accepted the resignation from Mary Reed, East ESP, Kate Halverson, Middle School ESP, Karen Goracke, East school lunch.
5. Approved the appointment of the following coach:
1. Megan Rapp 9th volleyball Level 6 $2400
2. Megan Rapp Soph GBB Level 8 $3125
6. Approved soccer coaches Charles Lamb, Boys JV, Tate Underhill, Asst. Boys JV, Brandy Miller, Girls JV.
7. Appointed Dave Peters as the authorized representative to file the LEA consolidated application.
8. Approved Tom Brown as High School custodian, 8 hr/day, 12 months, Level 0, $6.80 per hour, effective on or about 8/23/04.
9. Approved Josephine Martinez as Middle School custodian, 8 hr/day, 12 months, Level 1, $7.13 per hour, effective on or about 8/23/04.
10. Approved Patrick Horn as East Elementary custodian, 7 hr/day, 12 months, Level 2, $7.53 per hour, effective on or about 8/23/04.
11. Accepted the resignation of Angie Heidegger, High School ESP, effective 8/11/04.
Dave Peters informed the Board of the latest Methodist Church developments and the meeting with the City of Spearfish City Planner.
A resolution from the ESD + 6 school superintendents explaining their rationale for opposition to the repeal of the food tax was presented by Dave Peters.
Dave Peters also presented a request from the media concerning the time set for the school board meeting and how it impacts their deadlines.
Motion was made by Steen, seconded by Royer to move the meeting time back to 5:30 p.m. In Favor: Steen Opposed: Royer, Aslesen, Sleep. Motion failed.
Information was presented concerning the results of the D-Step testing completed this past spring by students in grades 3-8 and 11.
Motion was made by Steen, seconded by Aslesen and carried to approve the July 12th minutes.
Motion was made by Steen, seconded by Sleep and carried to approve the bills and financial statement.
Vice President Royer adjourned the meeting 7:36 p.m.
Don Aaker, President ____________________________________
Craig Crosswait, Business Manager _________________________
© 2005 Spearfish School District