School Board Minutes
November 13, 2006
A REGULAR MEETING OF THE SCHOOL BOARD OF SPEARFISH SCHOOL DISTRICT 40-2, LAWRENCE COUNTY, SOUTH DAKOTA, WAS HELD AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE BUILDING ON THE 13TH DAY OF NOVEMBER, 2006. THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS WERE PRESENT: President Royer, Vice President Steen, Krogstad, and Sleep. Administration present were: Peters, Crosswait, Comer, Morford, Seyer, Olson, and Soriano. Also present were: Heather Zingenbein, Jan Kaus, Annette Johnson, Eric Ligtenberg, Jackie Rans, Marcia Aiken, Barb Peterson, Sheila Hansen, Janice Koski, and Samantha Ahlers.
All motions were passed by unanimous vote unless stated otherwise.
President Royer called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Royer led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Steen and carried to approve the agenda.
There was no scheduled/unscheduled audience.
Teammates coordinator, Barb Peterson, updated the Board on this year’s program.
High School Principal, Steve Morford, introduced counselors Jackie Rans and Marcia Aiken who shared information on their work with tutoring and effective study habits.
Morford also introduced Industrial Technology Teacher Eric Ligtenberg who presented information concerning a student program involving “Toy for Tots.”
Motion was made by Steen, seconded by Sleep and carried to approve the contract change in the SCEA negotiated agreement.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Krogstad and carried to approve the consent agenda.
A. Approved certificates of exemption for 2 elementary, 3 middle school and 4 high school students (code 006-1010-089 - 006-1010-097).
B. Personnel (all hires contingent on successful completion of background check)
Approved the following personnel and contracts.
1. Rita Jones, West Elementary Kitchen Staff, 5.5hr./day, 9 months, Level 5, $8.53/hr. effective November 13, 2006.
2. Vincent Mahoney, High School Custodian, 8 hr./day, 12 months, Level 5, $8.78/hr., effective November 21st, 2006.
3. Kim Crosswait through BHSSC, Physical Therapist, 81 days, not to exceed $29,484.
4. Christine Skoglund, West Elementary SE, 1 FTE, BS-4, 25 undergrad, $22,554.75. for 145 days for the 2006-07 school year.
5. Michael McCarty, East Elementary SE, and JV Boys BB, 1 FTE, BS-0 $24,625 for 142 ½ days for the 2006-07 school year.
6. Timm Cooper, Freshman Boys BB coach, Level 6 $2,496
7. Breon Schroeder, Freshman Girls BB coach,, Level 6, $2,496
Accepted the following resignations.
1. Lisa Pummel, Physical Therapist, effective October 26th, 2006
2. Jan Harper, West Elementary SPED ESP, effective November 1st, 2006
3. Carla Moerike, High School ESP, effective November 22nd, 2006.
4. William Egger, High School Custodian, effective December 1st, 2006.
Approved the following NCA chairpersons
1. Bonnie Langum West Elementary Level 1.5 $260
2. Penny Lensegrav West Elementary Level 1.5 $260
3. Kristi Delahoyde East Elementary Level 1.5 $260
4. Michele Wager East Elementary Level 1.5 $260
C. Approved requests for four open enrollment students to be released from open enrollment in the Spearfish School District and allowed to return to their resident district.
Steve Morford provided information on the Classroom Connection pilot project at the High School.
Superintendent, Dave Peters, updated the Board on the latest enrollment numbers. Compared to last year the district is up 30 students.
Superintendent Peters also discussed the election results and the impact on the school district.
First reading of Board Policies as approved by the Policy Committee.
1700 Naming Rights
5012 Off-Campus Misconduct
5160 Educational Tours
Policy changes and updates:
4101 Anti-Harassment Policy
4202 Employee Drug and Alcohol Policy
4250/5115 Dangerous Weapons in Schools
4305 Teacher Recruitment and Selection
4310 Selection of Classified and Substitutes
4335 Teacher Duties
4350 Substitute Teachers
4360AR Students from Colleges/Universities as Substitutes
4366 Classified employees working less than 20 hours per week
4401 Health Examination
4651AR Reimbursement for District Travel
4720 South Dakota Retirement
Peters outlined the proposed public, education, and government television channel.
Motion was made by Steen, seconded by Sleep and carried to approve the October 9th minutes.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Krogstad and carried to approve the bills and financial statement.
Motion was made by Krogstad, seconded by Steen and carried to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 6:15 p.m.
Dr. Randall Royer, President ________________________________________
Craig Crosswait, Business Manager ___________________________________
© 2005 Spearfish School District