School Board Minutes
March 10, 2008
A REGULAR MEETING OF THE SCHOOL BOARD OF SPEARFISH SCHOOL DISTRICT 40-2, LAWRENCE COUNTY, SOUTH DAKOTA, WAS HELD AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE BUILDING ON THE 10TH DAY OF MARCH, 2008. THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS WERE PRESENT: President Royer, Vice President Steen, Sleep, Krogstad, and Bressler. Administration present were: Peters, Crosswait, Comer, Morford, Seyer, Riedel, Olson and Soriano. Also present were: Jan Kaus, Heather Murschel, Teri Decker, Kayla Kennedy, Tiffany West, Lance Palmlund, Amanda Nelson, Kevin Silbernagel, Kris Hayes, Margaret Berryhill, Lyndi Graves, Katy VanDaele, Paul Gainey, and Wendy O’Lexey.
All motions were passed by unanimous vote unless stated otherwise.
President Royer called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Royer led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Krogstad and carried to approve the agenda.
There was no unscheduled/scheduled audience.
High School Principal, Steve Morford, introduced members of the Zonta Club who informed the Board about their annual leadership forum on April 7th for selected students.
Steve Morford also introduced Paul Gainey who shared his experiences as a legislative page.
Board President, Randall Royer, received nominations for Vice President. Krogstad nominated Jeff Sleep, Bressler seconded. Sleep was elected the new vice president.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Krogstad and carried to approve the consent agenda.
A. Approved certificates of exemption for 1 elementary student. (code 007-0310-115)
B. Personnel (all hires contingent on successful completion of background check)
1. Approved the following resignations.
a. Nick Durham, MS Teacher/Wrestling Coach, effective at the end of the 2007-08 school year.
b. Robert Daczewitz, Technology Coordinator, effective June 30, 2008.
c. Stacy Kingsbury, HS Yearbook Advisor, effective upon completion of the 2007-08 yearbook.
2. Approved the following extra-duty/coaching positions.
a. Derek Nelson HS Asst. Varsity Track Coach Level 7 $3,192
b. Matt Oliver MS Track Coach Level 4 $1,820
c. Dusty Petz ½ MS Track Coach Level 4 $ 910
d. Mike McCarty ½ MS Track Coach Level 4 $ 910
e. Becky Sukstorf HS Yearbook Advisor 2008-09 Level 6 $2,688
Architect, Steve Williams, presented information on proposed additions and changes to the tennis court area and East Elementary. The discussion of the tennis courts centered on additional buildings and restrooms. The East Elementary discussion included renovating the existing building and construction of a new building. Superintendent, Dave Peters, suggested setting up meetings to solicit community involvement.
Steve Morford updated the Board on the High School addition construction.
Superintendent Peters discussed the latest legislative activity.
The first reading of the following policies was held.
1. Voluntary Separation #4450 - addressed approved leave and consecutive years of service.
2. Admission of Non-resident students/assignment of resident students #5005 - changes model the ASBSD’s policy service.
3. Excessive Absence #5010 and Administrative Regulation #5010 - change reflects the need
to add 18 year old students as of July 1st, 2009.
4. Enrollment of Students from Non-Accredited schools #5025 - changes reflect requirements
of students wishing to participate in school sponsored activities.
5. Open Enrollment #5035 - include changes of reasons for denying open enrollment.
6. Student Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug-abuse #5105 - changes regarding how extra-curricular violations are managed.
7. Search and Seizure #5110 - changes reflect the contra-band sniffing canine.
8. Dangerous Weapons in the School - Staff and Students #5115/4250 - change reflects federal law.
9. Use of Students/Interview #5140 - changes reflects the presence and use of the School Resource Officer in working with students.
10. Special Trip Policy #5150 and form 5150 - change includes weapons as a prat of the prohibited activities.
11. Suspension and Expulsion #5210 - changes includes affirms as an option to swears.
Superintendent, Dave Peters, commented on the lack of a school board election, Randall Royer was the only person filing a petition, and the replacement for Terry Steen on the Spearfish Education Foundation. Board member Dan Krogstad volunteered to represent the Board on the Foundation.
Motion was made by Steen, seconded by Sleep and carried to approve the February 25th, 2008 minutes.
Motion was made by Steen, seconded by Krogstad and carried to approve the bills and financial statement.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Krogstad and carried to move into executive session to discuss contract negotiations issues. 7:01 p.m.
The Board came out of executive session at 7:40 p.m. The regular meeting resumed.
President Royer adjourned the meeting at 7:41 p.m.
Dr. Randall Royer, President ________________________________________
Craig Crosswait, Business Manager ___________________________________