School Board Minutes
December 13, 2010
A REGULAR MEETING OF THE SCHOOL BOARD OF SPEARFISH SCHOOL DISTRICT 40-2, LAWRENCE COUNTY, SOUTH DAKOTA, WAS HELD AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE BUILDING ON THE 13TH DAY OF DECEMBER, 2010. THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS WERE PRESENT: President Randall Royer, Dan Krogstad, Mistie Caldwell and Dave Bressler. School administrators present were: Peters, Crosswait, Comer, Morford, Riedel, Olson, and Soriano. Also present were: Mike Barnes, Nancy Barnes, Randy and Donnelle Culver, Jackie Rans, Imelda Bratton, Sue Hall-martin, Kerry Bell, Steve Williams, Tim Velder, Elaine Doll-Dunn, Chad Johnson, Doug Deppe, Cody Turnbow, Jordan Post, Tammy L. Howard, William Adair, Katie Young, and Darion Thompson.
All motions were passed by unanimous vote unless stated otherwise.
President Royer called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Royer led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion was made by Bressler, seconded by Krogstad and carried to approve the agenda with one addition.
There was no scheduled or unscheduled audience participation.
Middle school principal, Tom Riedel, introduced middle school computer science teacher Jo Ann Claggett and a group of her middle school students who presented “Exploring the World of Cyber Ethics.”
High school guidance counselor Jackie Rans and middle school guidance counselor Elaine Doll-Dunn representing the district’s counselors provided a summary of ongoing activities across the district that help students understand and deal with the effects of bullying.
Williams and Associates Architect, Steve Williams, updated the Board on the Creekside Elementary construction project.
West elementary principal, Paul Soriano, provided information on the potential use of modular classrooms to relieve crowding due to an enrollment increase.
Superintendent, Dave Peters, updated the Board on the disposition of the 1924 section of East Elementary. After a lengthy discussion with the City’s planning and zoning commission, the district decided to change its application to R3 zoning which is multi-family residential.
Motion was made by Caldwell, seconded by Bressler and carried to vote for Sheryl Kirkeby as the western region schools over 10,000 students representative to the Associated School Boards of South Dakota Board of Directors
Motion was made by Caldwell, seconded by Bressler and carried to approve calendar option number two.
Motion was made by Bressler, seconded by Caldwell and carried to approve the consent agenda with one addition.
A. Approved certificates of exemption for 6 elementary, 1 middle school and 1 high school student
(codes 010-1213-128 – 010-1213-135)
B. Personnel (all hires contingent on successful completion of background check)
1. Approved Shandi Kobbe, $25/hour for 75 hours from November to May for providing ESL services to parents of our ESL students
2. Increased Mike Kane, SPED ESP MS/West, from 4 to 6.5 hours per day, effective January 3, 2011
3. Approved resignation from Sara DeLong, MS ESP, effective December 22, 2010
4. Approved Adam Hoyt, Jon Ferrie and Lyonel Coleman, Boys Basketball volunteers
The Board had the initial reading of proposed policy additions/changes
1. Acceptable and Ethical Use of Technology Resources (4030/6242) “New”
2. Use of Shared School Vehicles (4655) “New"
3. Political Activities During School Hours (1100/6260)
4. Complaints Concerning School Personnel (1210, 1210-A FM, 1210-C FM)
5. Complaint Procedure for Spearfish School District 40-2 Title I Program (1220AR)
6. Complaint Procedure for Federal Programs (1230AR)
7. Building Rental Agreement (1310 FM)
8. Public Conduct on School Property and At School Events (1315)
9. Crisis Management Plan (1410)
10. Strategic Design Process (1510, 1510AR)
11. School-Community Improvement Council (1600)
12. District Parental Involvement (1650)
Motion was made by Caldwell, seconded by Bressler and carried to approve the November 8th, 2010 regular meeting minutes and the November 29th, 2010 special meeting minutes.
Motion was made by Krogstad, seconded by Bressler and carried to approve the financial statement and bills.
Motion was made by Bressler, seconded by Caldwell and carried to move into executive session to discuss a personnel issue. 6:38 p.m.
The Board came out of executive session at 7:08 p.m. the regular meeting resumed.
Motion was made by Krogstad, seconded by Bressler and carried to adjourn the meeting. 7:09 p.m.
Randall Royer, President ___________________________________
Craig Crosswait, Business Manager ___________________________________
© 2005 Spearfish School District