School Board Minutes
February 14, 2011
A REGULAR MEETING OF THE SCHOOL BOARD OF SPEARFISH SCHOOL DISTRICT 40-2, LAWRENCE COUNTY, SOUTH DAKOTA, WAS HELD AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE BUILDING ON THE 14TH DAY OF FEBRUARY, 2011. THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS WERE PRESENT: President Randall Royer, Vice President Jeff Sleep, Dan Krogstad, Mistie Caldwell and Dave Bressler. School administrators present were: Peters, Crosswait, Comer, Morford, Seyer, Riedel, Olson, and Soriano. Also present were: Mandy Gale, Amanda Nelson, Nick Herman, Maggie Becker, Linda Mallory, Penny Lensegrav, Amy Fuqua, Lana Fischer, Crystal Kryza, Kristopher Kryza, Skyler Mullaney, Seth Heser, and Tony Althoff.
All motions were passed by unanimous vote unless stated otherwise.
President Royer called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Royer led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Bressler and carried to approve the agenda with addendums.
Mark Watson, of Black Hills Pioneer, brought to the Board’s attention, there will be a live webcast of the District 31 legislators Friday February 18th at noon.
Maggie Becker, Amy Fuqra, and Lana Fischer addressed the Board concerning the upcoming budget discussion. They thanked the Board and their children’s elementary school teachers for their efforts.
East Elementary Principal, Dan Olson, introduced Art Teacher Julianne Zoller who explained the multiple facets of the elementary art program.
Architect Steve Williams of Williams and Associates, updated the Board on the Creekside Elementary construction project.Superintendent, Dave Peters, discussed with the Board the disposition of the 1924 East Elementary building.
Motion was made by Krogstad, seconded by Bressler and carried to approve the final reading and adoption of the following policy additions and changes with an addendum to number four.
1. Grades 7-8 Participation in High School Activities (5440/6325) “New”
2. Building and Facility Use and Cost (1310AR)
3. Superintendent (2100)
4. Communication (2200AR) change paragraph #5 to the original wording
5. Descriptions of Administrative Positions (2300AR)
6. Purchasing Procedure (3301AR)
7. Fiduciary Accounts (3401)
8. Legal Service (3501)
9. Maintenance and Control of District Equipment (3601)
10. Authorized Use of School-Owned Materials and Equipment (3610)
11. Maintenance of Building and Grounds (3701)
12. District Transportation Policy (3801)
13. Guidelines for School Volunteer Bus Drivers Contracted Through Dakota Bus Service (3801AR)
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Caldwell and carried to approve the consent agenda with addendums.
A. Approved certificates of exemption for 1 elementary and 1 high school student (code 010-0214-139 - 010-0214-140)
B. Personnel (all hires contingent on successful completion of background check)
1. Approved Sandy Tarrant, West Elem. SPED-ESP, 3.5 hr/day Level 5 $9.35/hr, 9 months, effective 01/24/2011
2. Approved Jennifer Ross, West Elem. Food Service, 2 hr/day, Level 3 $8.35/hr, 9 months, effective 01/31/2011
3. Accepted resignations from the following:
a. Dan VanSickle, West Elem. Food Service, effective 01/12/2011
b. Ann Cole, West Elem. SPED-ESP, effective 01/04/2011
c. Kathy Daczewitz, East Elem. Food Service Supervisor, effective end of 2010-11 school year
d. Amanda Gale, District Social Worker, effective 02/18/2011
4. Approved termination of employment, Janet Kerwin, HS SPED-ESP, effective immediately
Technology Coordinator, Scott Hardesty, discussed the district technology purchase request for 2011-12
Superintendent Peters updated the Board on the latest legislative session activities.
Superintendent Peters also discussed the ongoing strategic plan process.
Motion was made by Krogstad, seconded by Bressler and carried to approve the January 10th, 2011 regular meeting minutes.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Caldwell and carried to approve the financial report and bills.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Krogstad and carried to move into executive session to discuss a personnel issue. 6:05 p.m.
The Board came out of executive session at 7:24 p.m. the regular meeting resumed.Motion was made by Bressler, seconded by Krogstad and carried to adjourn the meeting. 7:25 p.m.
© 2005 Spearfish School District