School Board Minutes
January 10, 2011
A REGULAR MEETING OF THE SCHOOL BOARD OF SPEARFISH SCHOOL DISTRICT 40-2, LAWRENCE COUNTY, SOUTH DAKOTA, WAS HELD AT THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE BUILDING ON THE 10TH DAY OF JANUARY, 2011. THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS WERE PRESENT: President Randall Royer, Vice President Jeff Sleep, Dan Krogstad, Mistie Caldwell and Dave Bressler. School administrators present were: Peters, Crosswait, Comer, Morford, Seyer, Riedel, Olson, and Soriano. Also present were: Chad Johnson, Mandi Scott, Austin Rotert, Ariel Hammerquist, Emily Warner, Nathan Hoscheid, Bailey Schuchhardt, Linda Mallory, Steve Williams, and Angela Albonico.
All motions were passed by unanimous vote unless stated otherwise.
President Royer called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Royer led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Bressler and carried to approve the agenda with one addendum.
Linda Mallory, representing the Spearfish Education Association, thanked the Board for their efforts on behalf of the students and staff.
BHSU Dept of Education Dean, Nancy Hall, recognized the Spearfish School District for their exemplary work in helping prepare teachers.
The Spearfish School Board was recognized for their exceptional diligence in performing their duties as Board members.
Special Education Director, Keyra Comer, introduced high school special education teacher Sara Heilman and her students who presented information on their various activities.
Williams and Associates architect, Steve Williams, updated the Board on the Creekside Elementary project.
Superintendent, Dave Peters, updated the Board on the disposition and zoning hearing of the East Elementary 1924 building.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Krogstad and carried to adopt the following policy additions and changes.
Final Reading and recommended adoption of policy additions and changes
1. Acceptable and Ethical Use of Technology Resources (4030/5131/6242) "New"
2. Use of Shared School Vehicles (4655) "New"
3. Political Activities During School Hours (1100/6260)
4. Complaints Concerning School Personnel (1210, 1210-A FM, 1210-C FM)
5. Complaint Procedure for Spearfish School District 40-2 Title I Program (1220AR)
6. Complaint Procedure for Federal Programs (1230AR)
7. Building Rental Agreement (1310 FM)
8. Public Conduct on School Property and At School Events (1315)
9. Crisis Management Plan (1410)
10. Strategic Design Process (1510, 1510AR)
11. School-Community Improvement Council (1600)
12. District Parental Involvement (1650)
Motion was made by Bressler, seconded by Caldwell and carried to call for the annual school election for the Spearfish School Board position currently held by Randall Royer. This year’s school election is scheduled for June 7th (7 AM to 7 PM) and is to be held in conjunction with City and County elections.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Bressler and carried to approve the amended consent agenda.
A. Approved certificates of exemption 2 elementary and 1 high school student (codes 010-0110-136 – 010-1110-138)
B. Personnel (all hires contingent on successful completion of background check)
1. Approved administrative and supervisory contracts with existing staff for 2011-12 (salaries and benefits to be determined): Dave Peters, Craig Crosswait, Keyra Comer, Steve Morford, Jim Seyer, Tom Riedel, Dan Olson, Paul Soriano, Scott Hardesty, Karen Hahn, Doug Deppe, and Barb Graslie. Administrative contracts include language that rolls over the existing administrator contract for the next school year if not acted on by the School Board before Feb 1
2. Approved Monica Waugh, MS-ESP, 6.5/hr day, Level 5 $9.35/hr, 9 months, effective 01/03/2011
3. Approved Tory Devall and Ty Haggerty, MS Boys Basketball Coaches, Level 5 $1,950
4. Accepted resignation from Cindy Smith, HS Girls Basketball, effective 12/22/2010
5. Increased Sara DeBeaumont, SPED ESP West Elementary, from 4 to 6.75 hours per day effective January 5, 2011.
The initial reading of the following proposed policy additions/changes was held.
1. Grades 7-8 Participation in High School Activities (5440/6325) "New"
2. Building and Facility Use and Cost (1310AR)
3. Superintendent (2100)
4. Communication (2200AR)
5. Descriptions of Administrative Positions (2300AR)
6. Purchasing Procedure (3301AR)
7. Fiduciary Accounts (3401)
8. Legal Service (3501)
9. Maintenance and Control of District Equipment (3601)
10. Authorized Use of School-Owned Materials and Equipment (3610)
11. Maintenance of Building and Grounds (3701)
12. District Transportation Policy (3801)
13. Guidelines for School Volunteer Bus Drivers Contracted Through Dakota Bus Service (3801AR)
Superintendent Peters updated the Board on the latest school funding issues for 2011-12.
Motion was made by Caldwell, seconded by Krogstad and carried to approve the December 13, 2010 regular meeting minutes.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Krogstad and carried to approve the financial statement and bills.
Motion was made by Sleep, seconded by Caldwell and carried to move into executive session to discuss a personnel issue. 6:05 p.m.
The Board came out of executive session at 6:20 p.m. the regular meeting resumed.
Motion was made by Caldwell, seconded by Bressler and carried to authorize the Board President’s correspondence to the South Dakota Department of Education for waiver request as a District personnel action.
Motion was made by Bressler, seconded by Krogstad and carried to adjourn the meeting. 6:21 p.m.
Randall Royer, President ___________________________________
Craig Crosswait, Business Manager ___________________________________
© 2005 Spearfish School District